The Perham Area Public Library was started in 1922 by the Women’s Club of Perham. It opened to the public in the old City Hall with a mere handful of books.
The committee that worked on the plan consisted of Bernie Kemper, Superintendent Randolph, Dr. Juergens, Mrs. Casper Lotterer, Mrs. Harry Davis, Mrs. Ben Esser, Mrs. A. Schwarzrock, Flora McDonald, and Anne Pancratz.
In the late 1920s, when the Burelbach Post of the American Legion thought of buying the Episcopal Church for a meeting place, they proposed that the building also be used as a library. As long as the post existed, the members would have the right to meet in the building. (This is why the library was always closed on Thursdays.)
So the Legion purchased the remarkable stone building from J.B. Miller and Grant Woodard. It had been built in 1887 by a Scottish stonemason, Nathaniel McConachie, and used for only a few years as an Episcopal church before various disagreements split up the congregation and many members joined the Methodist Church, which became known as the Methodist Episcopal Church.
In 1939, Dr. Frank Brabec proposed that a community hall be added to the building. The city of Perham had to own the building in order to get a grant, so the city bought it from the Legion.
The library suffered through many lean years. Fundraisers kept it going, but buying books and materials on $350 a year was impossible, so when Royale Arvig became mayor, the library received $150 a month and the librarian rejoiced.
Dozens of volunteers worked at the library, giving a financial assist to the city. Catherine Drahmann, the librarian for many years, provided countless hours of volunteer time. Mrs. Al Schoeneberger was the cataloguer for 50 years, at no charge.
In 1978, the library became a member of the Viking Library System, which helped to improve financing. It also helped to provide patrons with many services besides books. Movies, audio books, CDs, a copier, magazines, fax machine, computers and more have since become available to the public.
Circulation (the number of items borrowed by patrons in a year) grew from 6,800 in 1970 to 63,000 in 1993. In 1984, the community hall was renovated and the library, which was suffering from lack of space, expanded into that side of the building.
In 1978, Catherine Drahmann became the first paid librarian. By 1994, there were two assistant librarians, Mary Jane Coates and Helene Pettit, and a summer librarian, Marie Doll. Those on the Service Board of Volunteers included Vera Bigler, Mary Helen Zitzow, Helen Lindberg, Jan Bennison, Marie Doll, Elsie Christie, Mary Holper, Audrey Johnson, Jeanette Kupferschmid, Becky Stolee, Joan Happel, Martha Lehmkuhl and Jeanne Schoeneberger.
The Executive Board consisted of Jeanette Kupferschmid – President, Vera Bigler – Vice President, Elsie Christie – Secretary, Jan Bennison – Past President, Mary Holper – Member-at-Large, Helen Lindberg – Member-at-Large and Lina Belar – Viking Library
Information for this article came from the “East Otter Tail History Book, Volume II, 1994” as submitted by Catherine Drahmann. Lina Belar is the founder and retired director of the Friends of the History Museum of East Otter Tail County.